Saturday, February 18, 2012

GTI transmission teardown Part 3


The Fernley transmission teardown and CIS-Pine Trail forensics continues. While taking it apart a large metal piece fell out, big puzzle, where could this have come from? A very big, very unusual shape. That was about two weeks ago. Today I was throwing out the rusty useless extra transmission that I picked up for free when I bought the Morgan Hill GTI. I was about to throw out the shift linkage input shaft when the light bulb went on in my head. Pow!

Hey, wait a minute, those two tabs look like the piece of steel that fell out of the Fernley transmission. Hmmmm, so I took the rusty piece over to the bench and then got the same piece from the Fernley tranny. Yep, another puzzle solved. We broke off the tab from the shift input lever. How did we do that? I suspect it may have happened when we where pulling very hard on the shift linkage trying to get the transmission out of being stuck in third gear on Friday practice before the 24 hour race. 

Here is a picture of the two mechanisms, the rusty one on top with its compliment of two tabs, one on each side. Then look at the bottom mechanism from the Fernley tranny, left side tab is missing and that broke piece is pictured just below on the work bench. That broken piece bounced around inside the tranny during the 24 hour race but I could only find one place where it did a little damage to the transmission case. It got hit by the ring gear of the differential and gouged a little material right next to the pinion gear bearing, but not a fatal gouge. 


No comments: