Monday, July 5, 2010

The rear wheels touch down! For the first time since we started, the Magic Rabbit has all four wheels back on. The front drive axles are back in, it's almost ready for the first trip away from home! Also, I am liking the black numbers better. Going to try a red drop shadow behind the black numbers next week, that might be the ticket, staying with red accents.

Front wheels back on, new axles installed ready to lower it down and try it out.

Bolted the seat back in, no padding, just sitting on a towel, everything is just about ready for the first ride. I think we need to raise the seat a couple of inches, seems too low to me.

And there it is, back on all fours. The rear is still sitting very low, will have to adjust those upward a little. But it started up, warmed up and then backed up my steep driveway no problems.
Getting ready for the first spin around the block. Very nervous, lots of noises I am listening for. But the engine sounds good, got reverse gear and first gear so far. So now check out the video's.

First video is me leaving on the first spin around Redwood Estates. Still sounds very funky at low rpms. But it runs and I was able to shift into second gear! Roads too narrow to get out of second gear, plus I was being very careful on the first adventure away from the garage.


Second video is me coming back down from the first trip. Looks pretty good! Check out the brakes lights, everything lit up!


OK, the third video is later in the day, I had to change the spark plugs in my Infiniti FX to be ready for track day at Thunderhill this coming Friday! Get some instruction and learn the course. Took 2 hours to change six plugs, each plug has it's own coil sitting on top of each spark plug, the access is terrible, big wiring bundles on top of all the plugs. Anyway, got that job done and wanted to take the Magic Rabbit out for test drive 2.


Nancy is the cinematographer for all these videos and did a great job. I didn't know the camera was running at first. Finally found reverse gear and got the car turned around. Then punched it up the road!

The end of the second trip, much better, more confident in the car. It stops on a dime!! Took it out onto Summit Road. Was able to grab third and fourth gears, so we know 4 out of 5 forward gears work. Still need to figure out where 5th gear is located. And the little thing screams! I was amazed at the speed, but Summit Road is narrow and lined with trees so you get a very strong sense of speed quickly. Have no idea how fast I was going when I hit 4th gear. I glanced at the tach, was shifting at 5,000 rpms, sounded great. Then stomped on the brakes, amazing braking and straight as an arrow! Notice how fast I stop next to Nancy, as I was coming down the hill at Nancy she was worried I couldn't stop. No problem. Then zoomed off back to the garage! Looking good!


So sports fans, looks like we have a car that will make the starting grid! Now, let's see if it will last for two days of torture at Thunderhill. The Magic Rabbit lives!

No comments: